Don’t let clutter congest your hallway
Somedays I come up the stairs and find myself walking around boxes that need to be taken out to the garage, the vacuum that someone didn’t put away, a pile of clothes for the goodwill. The other day I did a double take and felt that I’d grown so accustomed to some of these boxes and leftover items from recent remodeling projects that I didn’t even “see” them and my hallway suddenly flashed before me as a future scene from the show “Hoarders” if I didn’t nip those boxes in the bud!
Some things to help ensure the hallways are clear are:
1. Have adequately sized garbage cans throughout the house so that garbage go in those cans and not overflow into the halls.
2. Ensure you have a place to hang purses, backpacks, coats and such so that they don’t take over the entry hall especially. Use appropriate hooks, baskets and hangers to keep the clutter off of the floor.
3. Going Down! (Or at the foot of the stair for going up!) – Have a stairway basket (See some of our favorites below!) near the top of stairways for items that need to go up (and down) so that they are easily grabbed by whomever is headed that direction. It is so easy to just grab the basket as you walk by.
4. Piles of Projects – If those pile ups are a result of ongoing projects, take it all to the garage. Have one spot that all of the “unorganized” clutter goes until it is ready to be put in its proper spot. Spent just 5 minutes a day tackling that spot to keep it from getting out of hand.
5. Take 5 – 5 Minutes that is! Spend just 5 minutes each day running things to their proper places. Carrying around a plastic laundry basket is really helpful! You can also use a 3 divided basket for “putaway”, “giveaway” and “throwaway” as you go from space to space getting things in order.
With just a little effort, you can keep your hallways from becoming cluttered, avoid stubbing a toe in the dark, or even avoiding a potential deathtrap in the event of a fire.